Preheat the oven to 160C.
1. Cream the softened butter, sugar and vanilla together with a whisk.
2. Add the eggs one at a time and keep whisking.
3. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir. After a while you'll have a soft crumble. Keep stirring until it's even.
Bake this for about 15 minutes. While it's baking make the meringue.
4. Beat the egg whites and vanilla with an electric beater until they go frothy.
5. Add the sugar and keep on beating until you get the good old 'stiff peaks'.
6. Fold in the coconut. The trick here is to fold it well - but gently.
7. Spread jam over the warm base.
8. Spread the meringue over the jam and bake for another 15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.